Did you know ...
- Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
As a special education teacher I see the every day affects of Autism for kids and families up close! It is a very real struggle that effects each person on the spectrum differently. It can be hard to understand and hard to figure out what each individual needs. But it does not mean that the person affected can't learn, can't be affectionate, can't be amazing!! I am sometimes shocked and saddened by the misunderstanding I see even in well educated professionals. So as a teacher I hope that you will take the time to really get to know what Autism is and how you can help students who are diagnosed with it!
Autism Speaks is a wonderful website that will give you lots of information if you're a teacher or parent it is a great place to get started learning about the spectrum we call Autism!
When working with students with Autism instruction is as unique as they are! Here's a freebie for you that I use to introduce some of my students to summer words! I hope you find it useful. (click on the picture to download)